Oddělení Blízkého Východu
Phone: +420 266 052 460
- dějiny Íránu a persianizovaného světa (1500–1900)
- literární a kulturní dějiny
- Digital Humanities
PhD. Department of Near Eastern Studies, University of California, Berkeley. Thesis: “Bâzgasht-i adabî (Literary Return) and Persianate Literary Culture in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Iran, India, and Afghanistan.”
M.A. Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University.
B.A. Political Science, Columbia University.
2017-- Researcher. Oriental Institute. Czech Academy of Sciences
2016–2017. Kluge Fellow. US Library of Congress.
2015–2016. Distinguished Visiting Professor (Middle East Chair). History and Political Science Departments. US Naval Academy.
2013–2015. SSRC Transregional Fellow and Visiting Scholar. Roshan Institute for Persian Studies. University of Maryland.
- “The Curious Case of Carnatic: The Last Nawâb of Arcot (d. 1855) and Persian Literary Culture,” The Indian Economic & Social History Review, 53.4 (2016), pp. 533–560.
- “The Local Lives of a Transregional Poet: ‘Abd al-Qâdir Bîdil and the Writing of Persianate Literary History,” Journal of Persianate Studies 9 (2016), pp. 83–106.
- "Rising in the Gulf: How China's Energy Demands are Transforming the Middle East," Al Nakhlah Fletcher School Journal on Southwest Asia and Islamic Civilization, Spring 2007, with John Douglas and Matthew Nelson.
- “Something Else: ‘After Tomorrow the Days Disappear: Ghazals and other Poems’ by Hasan Sijzi, trans. Rebecca Gould,” Glasgow Review of Books, September 8, 2016.
- “Persian Letters: The Allure and Enduring Legacy of Persian Nasta‘liq Calligraphy,” REORIENT, November 24, 2014. (Reprinted in Persian Tribune, vol. 1, no. 12, Jan. 2015)
- “A Thousand Years of the Persian Book: Celebrating a Millennium of Persian Textual Production,” REORIENT, September 2, 2014.
- “Iran and the Destabilisation of the Middle East,” The New Arab, September 24, 2018.
- “After the Iran Protests,” MES Insights, Vol. 9, no. 2, April 2018.
- “John Bolton and Washington’s Iran Policy Industry," Al Jazeera English, March 25, 2018.
- “The Resurfacing of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,” The New Arab, March 22, 2018.
- “Why Declaring Qatar a Sponsor of Terrorism is Dangerous, Muftah, August 22, 2017.
- “Yemen: The Graveyard of U.S. Policy Myths,” War on the Rocks, April 19, 2017.
- “The Muslim as a ‘Manchurian Candidate’,” Al Jazeera English, January 17, 2017.
- “Understanding the Rivalry between Iran and Saudi Arabia,” Muftah, December 8, 2016.
- “Syrian Civil War: US Should not Arm the Rebels,” Al Jazeera English, April 4, 2016.
- “What Constitutes Terrorism in Syria?” Al Jazeera America, December 2, 2015.
- “Iran’s Diplomatic Leap of Faith,” Muftah, October 27, 2015.
- “Crafting a Cultural Idiom of Engagement: The US President’s Persian Poetry (Part I and II)," Words without Borders, April 23 and 24, 2015, with Aria Fani.
- “Yemen: Much Ado About Proxies,” Asia Times Online, February 12, 2015.
- “Iran: An Enemy Revisited,” The Baltimore Sun, opinion section, July 13, 2014.
- “The Complicated Legacy of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Jadaliyya, June 13, 2013.
DALŠÍ AKADEMICKÁ ČINNOST
"A Macro-Analytical Approach to the Persian Tazkirah Ecosystem," Eighth Biennial Convention of the Association for the Study of Persianate Societies, Tbilisi, Georgia, March 15-18, 2018.
"A Transregional Persianate Library: Tazkirah Production and Circulation in the 19th Century," Middle East Studies Association conference, Washington, DC, November 18-21, 2017."Mapping a Persian Literary Sphere," Library of Congress, Washington, DC, November 17, 2017.
- “The Return of the Masters: Connections, Contestations, and the Redrawing of Persian Literary History,” Library of Congress, Washington, DC, October 25, 2016.
- “Mapping the Persian Tazkirah, 1700–1900,” The World of Tazkirah Conference, UC Irvine, February 5, 2016.
- “Demarcating Persianate Worlds: The Persian Tazkirah, 1700–1900,” UCLA International Asia Institute, October 15, 2015.
- “Migrations and Movements of Persian Poets, Secretaries, and Litterateurs in the Nineteenth Century,” The Global 19th Century: Contiguities, Connections, and Detachments Conference, University of California, Riverside, February 25–26, 2015.
- “Abd al-Qâdir Bîdil and the Writing of Persianate Literary History in Central Asia and Beyond,” Interrogating Change: Central Asia between Timelessness and Mutability Conference, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, October 17, 2014.
- “Rivalry and Debate on the Margins of Bâzgasht in 19th Century India,” International Iranian Studies Conference, Montreal, Canada, August 2014.
- Interrogating Change: Central Asia between Timelessness and Mutability. October 17, 2014. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (Co-organizer)
- The Wide World of Persian: Connections and Contestations. May 2-3, 2014. Library of Congress, Washington DC and Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, College Park Maryland.
Členství v organizacích
Association for Iranian Studies (AIS)
The Association for the Study of Persianate Societies (ASPS)
Middle East Studies Association (MESA)